or Jemima as it is occasionally spelt, was born 'abt.
1836 in Inkpen' as extracted from the IGI, but from
Census Rrturns it is more likely to have been 1832-1838,
married James Aldridge on 6 Jul 1853 in Avington,
"My mother says that she can
remember her father telling her that, Jamima was
one of the first gypsy's to live in a house. In
the 1861 census Jamima lives at 96 Old Road,
Newbury and her brother and his wife Amos and
Mary lived next door at 97. James Aldridge was
according to his marriage cert. a horse dealer
while Jamima was a licensed hawker. They had at
least nine children"
Sarah Barrass 18 Sep 2000
had the following children:
- christened 29 Jun 1854 at Stratfield
Mortimer according to the IGI, but the Census
Returns show his birthplace as Speen and Inkpen
in different years.
- born in Ogbourne, Wiltshire about 1856
Maria - born in Newbury about 1858
- born in Newbury about 1860, the 1881 census
shows him as a Labourer living at West
Frederick - born in Newbury about
1862. He married Harriett Helen Bartholomew.
- born in Newbury about 1863
- born in Newbury about 1865
- born in Newbury about 1867
- born in Newbury about 1880
Jane - ?